After I woke up from sleep following the crossover service, one catchphrase that kept disturbing my thought process was this:
“To thyself be true.”
I’ve not heard it in recent times and neither have I seen it. So, I knew straight away that this is my guiding principle for the year.
It was a line in Act I Scene III of Shakespeare’s Hamlet rendered by Polonius fully as follows:
“This above all: to thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man”.
Really, as humans and as we undertake the journey of a new year, we need to learn to be true to ourselves in all ways, at all times. Being true to yourself will make you expend less energy on things not beneficial for your growth and advancement.
• No matter your level of expertise in your chosen field or career path, there’s always one person better than you. You can genuinely aspire to be better than such a person. You can put in all the hard work for your own personal and professional development. But to thyself be true, envying and hating on such a person won’t bring him down and put you up.
• At this present stage of your life, look deep within you. You know what to do to move to the next stage of your life that you so much crave. To thyself be true; do it. Do it even with your fear of failure. It may not be easy. Actually, it won’t be. It will require consistency and patience. Beautiful things take time to build.
• To thyself be true; many people, due to their circumstances of birth or some other factors, will have better opportunities than you do. Rather than throw yourself a pity party, put in the required work and pray for grace. A pinch of grace can make an ordinary man look like a superman.
• Give no room for negativity and do not hesitate to axe dead woods from your life. One attribute which doubles as both a strength and a weakness in my life is that I believe in people to a fault. I was denying the latter until about three friends pointed it out to me towards the end of 2017.
I hardly cut people off from my life but I had to deliberately do it at the tail end of 2017 when it was clear that two friends were giving me some negative energy and needless drama. To thine own self be true; not everybody in your life is needed to make your life glow. Too many chefs will spoil a food. Too much make-up will make a woman look like Klitschko in the hands of Anthony Joshua.
• To thine own self be true; there will be many women more beautiful than your wife. There will be many men richer than your husband. Contentment is all you need.
Finally, while being true to yourself, find some real people. Build your lives together. Be true to yourselves. Life is not fair. Life is filled with some bunch of bestial hypocrites. Social media is replete with incredible façade.
But in the midst of it all, good people still exist. Find them. Don’t say “may we be one of them.” Be one of them.
One of the things I advocate for is quality relationships. Build true and enduring relationships. Lean on one another. Life is easier that way. As you are true to thine own self, be true to yourselves.
As the world is wasting away in self deception and delusion, know ye that thou canst not be false to any man.